Pioneer Living History Village

BlinkListblogmarksdel.icio.usdiggFarkfeedmelinksFurlLinkaGoGoNewsVineNetvouzRedditYahooMyWebFacebook

Related Attractions

flickr:2219523498

About

Pioneer Living History Village which opened in 1969 will bring you back 200 year back year in time to an Old 1800's West town. The 90 acres old west village houses 30 historic buildings from the 1880s to the turn of the century including an Opera House, a blacksmith shop, sheriff's office and jail and costumed interpreters including cowboys, lawmen, and lovely Victorian ladies.

The following are some of buildings in the village:

  • Ashurst Cabin - the original 1878 boyhood home of Senator Henry Fountain Ashurst, Arizona's first senator. The cabin was actually moved from a box canyon at Ashurst Springs on Anderson Mesa.
  • Bakery - the shell and facade of one of the oldest brick bakeries in Arizona built by the Holsum Bakery Company in the early 1880's.
  • Flying "V" Cabin - the cabin was originally built by John Tewksbury, Sr., the father of one of the families involved in the Pleasant Valley War and has notched gun ports for protection against Indian attacks.
  • Fort Woods - the building is a replica of a typical western fort. The name was selected to honor Sergeant Brent Woods, a Buffalo Soldier who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery during the Battle of Gavilan Canyon in New Mexico Territory on August 19, 1881.
  • The Gordon School - the building was originally from Gordon Canyon and was the home of William Gordon and his family, later converted to educational use. The school was in use from approximately 1885 to 1930.
  • Meritt House - the building was the home of Beryl Meritt's family until 2008. The main house has 3 rooms and a large pantry. The kitchen was a separate structure, sometimes called a “summer kitchen” meant to keep excessive heat away from the main house in the hot Arizona climate. The other buildings include: the Water Tower, the Granary, and the Carriage House.
  • Northern Home - the building was the original structure moved from Newman Canyon built around 1885. The house originally belonged to Jeff D. Newman who arrived in Arizona prior to 1886 with his family. The building is an example of "saddle and rider" notching technique.
  • Opera House - the building was the reconstruction of the Opera House in 1880's.
  • Ranch Complex - the house is an original 1870 structure moved from Gordon Canyon representing the type of housing built soon after the homesteaders' arrival in a new area.
  • Statehood House - the building represents life in 1912 when Arizona became America's 48th state.
  • The Teacherage - the small cabin was the community's dedicate home for their teacher in the late 1880’s or early 1890’.
  • Victorian House - the house was built in the early 1890's on an 80-acre homestead in Phoenix. The grounds included orchards of apples, peaches, apricots, pears, figs, and almonds as well as a pump house and a windmill.

Minimum Time Needed

Hours

June 1 - September 30
Wednesday - Sunday, 8am - 2pm

October 1 - May 31
Wednesday - Sunday, 9am - 4pm

Admission Fee

Adults - $7.00 per person
Seniors 60+ - $6.00 per person
Students 6-18 years old - $5.00 per person
Children under 5 - Free
Groups of 20 or more - $5.00 per person

Location


View Larger Map

URL

http://pioneeraz.org

Rate the place

rating: 0+x

Gallery

Sorry, no images found attached to this page.

Flicker Gallery

{"module":"wiki\/image\/FlickrGalleryModule","params":{"tags":"Pioneer Living History Village, phoenix","sort":"relevance","tagMode":"all","perPage":"10"}}

Video

Comments

Add a New Comment
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License